Apply now for our 2023 Latina Leadership Fellowship! Esperanza United’s Latina Leadership Fellowship provides training, professional development, and networking opportunities for a cohort of 10 Latina women pursuing careers in research and/or policy advocacy. The purpose of this fellowship is to promote Latin@ leadership and scholarship at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the field of gender-based violence. Fellows will work together and independently on growing their skills and completing a project, with their mentors, to address gender-based violence.
As a culturally specific organization working to meet the needs of Latin@ communities, Esperanza United uplifts Latinas’ professional lives by creating a space where they can receive first-hand experience, develop skills, and make connections. With this fellowship, we’re creating a more equitable standing ground for Latinas as they kick-start their career in public policy, research, and leadership.
What will the Esperanza United Latin@ Leadership Fellowship offer you?
- Competitive stipend
- Mentoring by professional leaders
- Activities to enhance your understanding of gender-based violence
- Opportunity to develop and present your own work related to gender-based violence
- Fellows will receive a stipend of $6,000 with an option to apply for additional funding for their fellowship activities. The maximum that a fellow can receive is $8,000. The stipend will be distributed monthly from May to August. Esperanza United will also cover expenses related to the in-person convening.
When and where is the fellowship offered?
Fellowship meetings and training will be virtual, with a final in-person convening tentatively scheduled for the first week of August 2023.
Fellows will begin orientation sessions in May and engage in self-guided readings and training in May. They will then have until the beginning of August to finalize their projects.
What are the requirements for fellows?
- Latina students enrolled as rising juniors, seniors, or in graduate programs.
- Individuals authorized to work in the United States are eligible to apply.
- Individuals bilingual in Spanish and English are encouraged to apply.
- Individuals who have previously participated in this fellowship are not eligible to apply.
- Commit to working 20 hours per week from mid-May to mid-August.
- Have availability to travel in August 2023.*
- Have an interest in public policy advocacy and/or research with the Latin@ community.
- Have an interest in learning about the multifaceted global issue of gender-based violence.
- Have a commitment to social and racial justice.
How do I apply?
You will need to submit the following through our online application. Please note that the application is to be submitted as a whole and you are not able to return once you have started.
EVERYTHING MUST BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY BY 5:00 PM EST ON FEBRUARY 10, 2023.
- Resume or CV, including contact information for two references, listing their name, position, nature of your relationship, phone number, and email).
- A mentor or Field Advisor (such as a professor, supervisor, academic advisor, or community member) who will provide guidance and mentorship during the fellowship. Prospective fellows can indicate if they need assistance finding a mentor.
Please discuss your interest in and connection to the Latin@ community, gender-based violence, and how this fellowship can help you in your career goals. Don’t forget to address how your culture plays a role in your career goals.(500-word word limit)
This fellowship requires a commitment of 20 hours/per week and will run from mid-April to mid-August 2023. Do you foresee any challenges, barriers, or other issues that may interfere with your full participation in this fellowship? If so, please explain. (200-word limit)
Tell us how the stipend will contribute to your success and address financial barriers for you. (100-word limit)
If your application moves forward, you will be invited to an interview in March. Applicants will be informed of their acceptance status in April.
For any questions regarding this fellowship, please contact our team at email@example.com
*Any in-person meetings will follow the CDC’s guidelines for travel, masks, and social distancing.